Sunday, August 20, 2006

MOVIN' ON UP!

SENATOR GEORGE FELIX ALLEN JR.

Given how much play the "Macaca" faux pas has been getting in the press and how much it seems to be affecting the polls, I thought ole Felix deserved a bump up the TOP TEN, at least for a few notches from his previous #10 slot.

As I'm sure many are already aware (and if you're coming here for the latest in breaking news, then you're probably looking in the wrong place) Rasmussen Poll was released a few days ago, showing a six-point swing in favor of Democratic challenger, Bill Webb. From Rasmussen:

Senator George Allen's alleged slur of an opposition campaign worker of Indian descent, recorded on video, has provoked a furious controversy in the state. In the wake of the controversy, support for Allen has dipped to its lowest level of the year.

...

During an August campaign event, Senator Allen repeatedly used the word "macaca" in addressing a volunteer for the Webb campaign who was videotaping the event. "Macaca" is a word for "monkey" that can be used as a racial slur. Allen says his use of the word was careless but innocent. Our current survey of the contest was conducted August 16, several days after the incident and a couple days after Senator Allen publicly apologized.

Hey, wait a tic! When did Allen apologize? Is he talking about this bit from last Monday: "I would never want to demean him as an individual. I do apologize if he's offended by that. That was no way the point."
Oooooooh, it's one o' dem dare 'qualified apologies'. See, if you throw an "if" in an apology then it really doesn't count as an apology. Felix should take lessons from Tramm Howard, a former member of this prestigious TOP TEN and the presumptive nominee for Katherine Harris' vacant House seat in Florida-13, who had this to say after making a racially insensitive remark about blacks and their questionable ability to swim:



“I said something stupid. I apologize for it and would apologize in person to anyone hurt by my comments. To those who are understandably offended, you have my deepest apologies and I want you to know that it was out of character for me and those who know me know that to be a fact. This was a thoughtless remark that does not reflect my lifetime commitment to treating everyone fairly and without bias. I apologize to everyone who is offended by this comment.”
See, a full and unqualified apology. Not that hard actually. No excuses. No BS. Just a straightforward, "I screwed up. Please forgive me." This nation could use a little more of this kind accountability. Unfortunately, a man who hopes to be his party's nominee for 2008 apparently does not feel the same way. Way to go, Felix! You're movin' on up!

UPDATED TOP TEN:
1. Hugh Hewitt
2. John McCain
3. Orrin Hatch
4. Joe Lieberman
5. GEORGE FELIX ALLEN JR.
6. Redstate.com
7. Dick Cheney
8. Rick Santorum
9. Carl Romanelli
10. Katherine Harris

No comments: