Thursday, August 31, 2006

DEJA VU ALL OVER AGAIN

PAT BUCHANAN


I suppose that I would be completely remiss in my duties as chronicler of the scoundrels and nincompoops of this country if I didn't talk about Pat Buchanan, who seems to be going onto any and all shows that will put a mike in his face so that he can promote his racist treatise entitled State of Emergency: The Third World Invasion and Conquest of America. Think Progress does a bang-up job of hitting the high points of this inflammatory screed, the basic premise of which is to say that America used to be a super place to live for White Folks but will soon be taken over by wetbacks and darkies if something isn't done. (Oh, and he basically advocates that whites are the superior race, which is always bound to get you a few extra sales.) It's pretty much just red meat for the Minutemen types and toilet paper for the rest of us. I'll spare my readers the obligatory outrageous quotes, since you've probably already read them. If not, then I again direct you to Think Progress' coverage.
And because Pat is such a total whore when it comes to promoting the book, he's been on every and any show that would have him. Two of his appearances are also available via Think Progress - one is from The Creepy Guy in the Cowboy Hat, errr the Don Imus Show (where he details Mexico's plans to "re-annex" the Southwest States) and the other is from HANNITY and colmes. The HANNITY one is extra good because Pat fondly remembers a time when the country was "80 or 90 percent white." To quote Pat: "I like that country" that "I grew up in." Yeah, things sure were better when them coloreds knew their place and America was a happy white place. (Note: Pat was born in '38 and grew up in the 40's and 50's.)
Maybe I'm tired or something, but I just cannot get worked up about this whole thing. Really, it's a standard right wing tome and promotional tour: nutty person writes a book, which includes nutty outrageous passages; nutty writer goes on nutty talk shows to talk about nutty book; nutty book sits at number one on some best seller list; weeks later the nutty book is selling for the nutty discount of 50% off. Wash, rinse and repeat. You know, I think that's why I'm not up in arms about it; I just watched Coulter do the same thing with her nutty book about a month ago.

No comments: