Monday, October 16, 2006

BLOG MENTIONS RULE!

Please excuse me for a moment as I bask in the glow of a quick blog mention. It was a quiet Sunday night; I was simmering in the warm happiness of another Saints victory (take that, Philly!) and catching up on a little TiVo viewing. Upon finishing up an episode of Boston Legal, I decided to check out the numbers on this blog. I diligently track the flow of visitors to this site, not that there are that many - I average about 150-200 a day and that number can fluctuate greatly depending on how much time I spend pimping it in various comments sections around the lefty blogosphere. So tonight, given that I traveled much of the weekend and didn't devote as much time as I usually do to blogging, I was expecting to take note of a light trickle of visitors.
Lo and behold, at the 4pm hour, the numbers really started to jump. I figured that I had screwed up an earlier tally, but upon further review, the numbers were correct - I had gotten a major spike in visitors. Why? I did a little checking and I found that most of the referrals were from Crooks and Liars, a site I visit probably ten times a day as it's one of my favorites. I began to put two and two together and hoped beyond hope that I had gotten quoted by the esteemed John Amato (who runs C&L). Alas, that was not the case, but I did get a mention in the "Blog Round-Up" section that appears frequently. I was under the heading, "Off the Beaten Path," which just about describes this joint to a tee.
Still, it's always nice to have visitors and readers. The worst thing for a writer is to not have your stuff being read, so I'm greatly appreciative that Mr. Amato happened upon my site and decided to give me a mention.

Here's the link to the actual mention. You can see a sceencap here if you are so inclined.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

that is exactly how i arrived here !! nice blog - adding to favs !!

and i like the use of the black & white photos / icons at the beginning of each post - distinctive !! the one of bill o'lielly is very scary !!!

Kathy said...

I like your blog. Found via C&L. Good luck. Would you consider answering a question for me? I've been experimenting with a blog myself, but I have no clue how to "pimp" a blog, as you call it. How do you pimp a blog? Any clue you can give me, I appreciate. Thanks and good luck again. Email me at curiouskatmc@netscape.net if you can.

burningbush said...

Very informative articles and yes I am here thanks to C&L, Will visit regularly from now on. :)

burningbush said...

Kathy,

I may be mistaken and any who want to correct me can but I believe "pimping your blog" refers to posting links to your blog in other blogs. (blog etiquette: this is usually done on an open thread)

Jack said...

Sure, rub it in!

While I'm glad I found your blog, and have added it to my favorites on display, I wish I could have found my humble abode through Crooks And Liars.

I'm the poor schmuck at the Blue Collar Politics blog who, while thrilled to be mentioned in that same "Off The Beaten Path" section, wound up being naked there . . . WITHOUT ANY LINK ATTACHED!

So, if you don't mind, I'll try pimping the site here! ;-)