Monday, October 09, 2006

SO, WHAT'D I MISS?

A QUICK HIATUS RECAP


Well, I had a nice little post detailing my enjoyable non-blogging weekend. Unfortunately, Blogger ate it and I don't feel like rewriting it. Suffice it to say, it was a great weekend, from an excellent college football game to the Saints winning their fourth game in five outings to being able to spend quality time with some old friends that I hadn't seen in nearly 10 years.

Anyway, what with being out of the loop for so long, I thought that I'd throw out some of the news bits that I've checked out just so I can catch up and be ready for another week of Foley Foley Foley.

First up, I noted DICK Cheney once again displaying the emotional maturity of a fifth grader (the last time being when he told Leahy to go fuck himself on the floor of the Senate), this time by calling up reporter and author Bob Woodward and complaining that his less than flattering book on the Bush White House and the war in Iraq was so much "bull-something". Then being the emotionally stunted bully that he is, he then hangs up the phone. As Woodward himself said during an interview on Meet the Press, "It’s a metaphor for what’s going on. Hang up when somebody has a different point of view or information you don’t want to deal with."
(See the video over at Crooks and Liars.)

Next, I was listening to this CNN interview on my ride home via my handy satellite radio. During it, Wolf Blitzer when after a Congressman Patrick McHenry as McHenry was trying to spin the Foley scandal as a Great Liberal Conspiracy. To his credit, Blitzer repeatedly asked him if he had ANY proof whatsoever to back up this claim, and of course none exists so McHenry was left babbling like a paranoid idiot.

TIME has a strong piece on the fall of the GOP via the Foley scandal. It begins with the line, 'Every revolution begins with the power of an idea and ends when clinging to power is the only idea left.' It only gets better from there.

After missing a week in the FIVE WORST PEOPLE list, George Felix Allen Jr. is looking to get back on it with two distinct controversies. The first is apparently some financial shenanigans that the Associated Press has the goods on. The other one is yet another confirmation that Felix simply cannot help himself when it comes to using the n-word. The New Republic via Think Progress has the goods on it. 'One of the sources said, “[W]henever [Allen would] get a black card that he didn’t like, he would refer to it as a ‘nig— card’ he needed to get rid of.”' Ladies and gentlemen, the man who dream of being your president in 2008.

Oh, and thanks again the Think Progress for these to bits of world news - Afghanistan is going to hell and marching towards the Bomb. LATE UPDATE: Unsubstantiated reports have North Korea test a nuke. Well, at least Saddam is out of power, right?

And finally, I close with the grand poohba himself, Dubya. Things must be getting awfully desparate for Clan Smear-and-Fear as Bush himself has now taken to flat-out calling Dems for their non-existent "cut-and-run" Iraq policy. Bush usually reserves this sort of misleading rhetoric for his lieutenants and Fox News mouthpieces, so for him to just start coming out and saying it indicates to me that Bushco is downright terrified with what is going on across the nation as poll after poll looks more bleak for the GOP every day.

Anyway, that'll do for now. Expect me back up to my semi-full schedule (I'm still studying for the GRE) today. See you all soon.

No comments: