Monday, November 20, 2006

AMERICA'S DOWNFALL - Bill O'Reilly

Bill O'Reilly attempted a rare triple play during a recent radio broadcast. In order, he disparaged American's fascination with iPods and technology, computer "geeks", and the combat preparedness of average Americans. Don't believe me [h/t Think Progress]?

[1] I don’t own an iPod. I would never wear an iPod… If this is your primary focus in life - the machines… it’s going to have a staggeringly negative effect, all of this, for America…

[2] [D]id you ever talk to these computer geeks? I mean, can you carry on a conversation with them? …

[3] I really fear for the United States because, believe me, the jihadists? They’re not playing the video games. They’re killing real people over there.

I, like millions of Americans, am an iPod owner. I recall the days of the Walkman, and I'll take my small iPod Shuffle over that big honkin' yellow cassette player anyday of the week. And while I'll admit that it is not the primary focus of my life, I do find it handy while cutting the grass or riding the subway the couple times of year I find myself doing so. It seems that on my all too frequent journeys to New York that everyone seems to have the white earpieces in their ears listening to their own personal soundtracks. Whether this is having a "staggeringly negative effect" on America seems a bit of a reach.

Next, he takes the swipe at computer "geeks"? Why? Is that some remnant of his younger days as a bully or something? What's the point really? And his query, "I mean, can you carry on a conversation with them?" would be applicable to the majority of his audience in my mind.

Finally we have the jihadist remark? So, while Americans are playing video games, the jihadists are killing people; is he suggesting that we put down our controllers and start killing people as well in order to prepare for the coming apocalyptic conflagration when our skills at hand-to-hand combat against these devil worshippers will finally be put to the test? He really stumped me with this one. Then again, perhaps we should provide the jihadists with video games and maybe that will stip them from killing people since they would then have something else to do with their time.

Bill-O really stumped me with this rant. Maybe he's choosing to forgo his annual war on Christmas diatribes and is instead focusing on the laziness of Americans (and the awkward social skills of computer geeks) who ought to be practicing the art of jihad rather than cuddling up with our iPods and Xboxes.

1 comment:

bgansel said...

I would like to remind Mr. O'Reilly that if it weren't for a machine (specifically a television) he might be a trash-truck driver or a school janitor... nope, I got it, he would probably be one of those overly-used car sheisters working out of one of those shoebox sized car dealerships, ripping off hard-working Americans just to cover the bills. No falafel there.